It can be quite a task to deal with pests when putting food on the table from your own small garden. At a certain point, there may be no other option than to find the right insecticide for the job. In this article, I will share with you a list of the best insecticides for your vegetable garden – as well as pros and cons lists for each product. Don’t let pests ruin your plants! Find the right insecticide and reclaim your garden today.
This site is supported by its readers: We may receive a commission for items purchased through links.
1. Monterey LG6150 Garden Insect Spray, Insecticide & Pesticide with Spinosad Concentrate, 16 oz., 16 oz.
Monterey has built itself a name since 1963 offering the best solutions for your garden. This product protects your crops from a large number of insects, including leaf miners, caterpillars, fire ants, gypsy moths, and borers. This spray shields a variety of plants from attacks from these parasites.
- Manufacturer: Monterey
- Product Dimensions6.75 x 3.5 x 6.75 inches
- Size: 16 oz
- Item Weight: 1.2 lbs.
- Target pests: Worms, Caterpillars, borers, beetles, leaf rollers, borers, fire ants
- Active Ingredient: Spinosad 0.5%
- For use: Your garden, ornamental, lawn and on broadleaf weeds
- Plants Applicable: Pome fruits, bush berries, Cole crops, tuberous vegetables
- Pet and People safety: Yes (but used as directed)
- Application: mix 2 oz. per gallon of water per 1,000 sq. ft
- Eliminates a wide variety of insects- Among them are; moths, leaf miners, trips, among numerous others.
- The product is ready to use. It is packed alongside an attached hose-end sprayer. The only thing to do is to connect a garden hose to the sprayer and then start using it.
- Uses natural ingredients, which makes it secure to use around pets and people.
- Can be used in many plants in your garden, ornamental plants, and also in your lawn.
- The insecticide acts fast and does not produce odor, so it is good for both indoor and outdoor use.
- Does not completely kill fungus.
- It is not efficient when it comes to aphids which are more pronounced in vegetable gardens.
- If not mixed using the dilution, it may not work as intended.
PyGanic Gardening 8oz, Botanical Insecticide Pyrethrin Concentrate for Organic Gardening is able to deal with more than 200 insects that are a potential threat to your produce. It is helpful to plants such as tomatoes, peppers, small fruits, and berries, among others. It’s fairly easy to use and very effective.
- Manufacturer: MGK
- Product Dimensions: 3 x 1.5 x 5 inches
- Item Weight: 8 ounces
- Target Pests: Beetles, mites, ants, aphids, and many more (for the full list, check the label)
- Active Ingredient: Pyrethrin 1.40%
- Plants Applicable: fruits and vegetables
- Pet Safety: Yes (but apply as directed)
- Application: Stir 1 to 1.4 fl. oz. of PyGanic Gardening per gallon of water per 1,000 sq. ft.
- This insecticide forces hiding insects out of their hideouts.
- This product is beneficial for organic gardens.
- Exposure to sunlight affects the effectiveness of this product after a few hours. It works well during dusk and at night.
- The product does not last long on your plants. It only works for 10 hours.
- Is a skin irritant. Ensure you follow the given instructions to avoid damage to skin, eyes, and other body parts.
3. Bonide (BND443) – Eight Insect Control for Vegetable, Fruit, and Flower, Insecticide/Pesticide Concentrate (32 oz.)
Bonide has been in the market since 1926 and has been delivering quality products for quite some time. The Bonide (BND443) – Eight Insect Control kills over 100 insects. It has a longer kill time and this ensures maximum value for your investment. The methods of application advocated for are the use of pressure tank sprayer or trigger spray bottle.
- Size: 32 oz
- Item Weight: 1 pound
- Product Dimensions: 1 x 1 x 1 inches
- Manufacturer: BFG Supply
- Target Pests: Beetles, worms, ants, leaf miners, and more than 100 bugs
- Plants Applicable: Ornamentals, lawns, flowers, roses, shrubs, trees, and vegetables
- Pet Safety: Fes (but apply as directed)
- Active Ingredient: Permethrin 2.5%
- Application: For every 1,000 sq. apply 1 – 2 oz. per gallon of water
- The insecticide offers double action. It kills pests with the spray as well as when they return to the plants you have treated.
- Lasts longer on plants as compared to other insecticides.
- This product offers the best solution for foliage.
- This insecticide immediately mixes with water making it easy to apply.
- It kills more than a hundred kinds of insects thus providing good value for money.
- You can use it inside your house for plants.
- Dual-action control is a feature that provides instant results when spraying directly to your plants and vegetables.
- It is not effective on caterpillars.
- It does not kill pine beetles.
4. Bonide (BND253) – Captain Jack’s Dead Bug Brew, Insecticide/Pesticide Concentrate (32 oz.), Brown/A
Since 1926, Bonide has worked tirelessly to provide customers with the best insecticide for vegetable gardens, homes, and lawns to fight insects. Captain Jack’s Dead Bug Brew works to deal with pests such as moths, caterpillars, borers, spider mites, beetles, among others.
This product is one of the best insecticides for vegetable gardens. It shields many plants from pests. Some of these plants are leafy vegetables, tuberous vegetables, cole crops, pome fruits, among others. For sufficient results, follow the labeled instruction. After mixing with water, this pesticide should be applied with a hand-held backpack, hose-end sprayer, or a trigger.
- Manufacturer:iPower Distributor L&G
- Weight: 2 pounds
- Dimensions: 5X2X9 inches
- Targeted Pests: Spider mites, codling moth, gypsy moth, caterpillars, beetles, loopers,
- Application: 2 fl.oz. Per gallon of water
- It is long-lasting if kept well.
- It is safe for edible vegetables and fruits.
- Kills most tomato worms and caterpillars.
- It requires dilution hence if not diluted well, it won’t work as expected.
- Affects birds and beneficial insects because it is an insecticide.
This OMRI-certified organic ready-to-use product has been made from natural neem oil and is therefore eco-friendly to both the environment and your animals. It is a good choice for those who love their flowers and vegetables as it can be used up to the last day of harvesting.
It is mainly used to control fungal diseases such as blackspots and mildew as well as other garden insects, their eggs, and larvae. Additionally, it used to exterminate all kinds of mites. It is supposed to be used for up to two weeks until there are no signs of any disease.
It is used in small flower gardens, vegetable gardens, and ornamentals. On the other hand, you are not supposed to use it on more sensitive plants without proper testing.
- Manufacturer: Garden Safe
- Weight: 1 pound
- Size: 24 Ounce
- Dimensions: 0.37X0.21X0.88 inches
- Usage: Ready to use
- Application: Used on both plants and pets
- Active Ingredients: Contains neem oil extracts
- It is very easy to use because it comes ready to use. This means it does not need any dilution.
- Very affordable and is a good value for money.
- It is ideal for both in-house and outdoor plants (potentially even carnivorous plants) due to its organic properties.
- It can be used by both animals as well as plants.
- It contains three properties which are Fungicide, Miticide as well as Insecticide.
- It is used until the last days of harvest hence no need for other chemicals.
- It has a very bad smell when it is wet.
- It is not advisable to use it on plants that are very sensitive or recently planted.
- It takes time to kill some pests.
6. Monterey LG 6338 Bacillus Thuringiensis (B.t.) Worm & Caterpillar Killer Ready to Use Insecticide/Pesticide Treatment Spray, 32 oz
Additionally, it can be used up until the last day of harvest. Some of the plants it’s used on include: broccoli, cauliflower, celery, cabbage, turnip greens, mustard greens, lettuce, shade trees, ornamentals, and others.
Also, it is not harmful to beneficial insects like honey bees or ladybugs as well as earthworms and birds. This is because they are beneficial in terms of pollination.
- Manufacturer: BFG Supply
- Dimensions: 1X1X1 inches
- Weight: 1 pound
- Targeted pests: Armyworms, cabbage looper, bagworm, hornworms, caterpillars
- Application: Ready to use
- Pet safe: Yes if used as per label instructions.
- It can be used all year round hence no need to supplement with other chemicals
- It is organic meaning it is friendly to your pets
- It is long-lasting when used well
- It has shown very efficient results as per many reviews
- It is easy to use as there are no dilutions. You just need to use it as per the label.
- It is not always effective on tomato bugs
When it comes to buying the best insecticide for your vegetable garden, it might be a hard choice as you don’t know which will be the best for you. Considering budgets, you might want the best value for your money as well as efficiency. However different products are used for different reasons. Below is a buyer’s guide to help you choose the best insecticide for your vegetable garden.
Best for Vegetables and Fruits
Coming in two sizes the Monterey LG 6338 Bacillus Thuringiensis (B.t.) is the best to get the job done. It does not affect beneficial insects and birds and can be used in both vegetables and fruits. Additionally, it’s best for killing worms and caterpillars which encroach on your vegetables.
Also, you can use the Monterey LG6150 Garden Insect Spray, which has the same properties. It is able to be sprayed over large fields with its easy-to-use dilution formula. It can also be used for large-scale farming.
Best Choice for Homeowners
The Garden Safe Brand Fungicide3 is the best option in this category as it can be used on plants whilst it is safe for pets. This is because it contains all three properties which are insecticide, fungicide as well as miticides. The good thing is that it can be used indoors as well as outdoors.
Best Insecticides For Residential
The PyGanic Gardening 8oz, Botanical Insecticide is the best in this category. This is because it has proved to kill more than a hundred types of insects as well as whiteflies, fruit flies, and aphids. It also does not affect pets and kids but that does not mean precautions are not necessary. Ensure that everyone keeps away after applying the insecticide.
In this category, the Bonide (BND443) wins. Its double action capabilities ensure it kills all types of hoping, flying, or crawling insects. It is applied to all kinds of plants such as flowers, bushes, trees, fruits shrubs, nuts, and even house plants. Additionally, it is safe for pets and long-lasting if used properly. You may also want to consider the Bonide (BND253) – Captain Jack’s Dead Bug Brew, which also serves the same purpose.
All the above are the best insecticide for vegetable gardens with their unique specifications and are safe to use as they have all been approved to be organic. I hope you now have all you need to make the right decision for your personal use.
It would be wise to follow the listed guidelines to avoid harmful results as well as to maximize on produce. However, ensure you carefully read the manufacturer’s instructions to you to efficiently use these products. In case I haven’t touched on a specific product, feel free to do some more research.